No matter your cat’s breed, age, or life-style, conserving her freed from flea and ticks is an absolute necessity. Except for utterly ruining snuggle time, these bloodthirsty pests may cause some nasty well being points – not only for Fluffy but in addition on your human household. Fortunately, there are numerous protected and efficient flea and tick remedies to select from. However with so many choices, it may be troublesome to know the place to begin.
Should you might do with some assist, you’ve got come to the correct place! Right here at BestReviews we’re on a mission to simplify your purchasing expertise. By figuring out the qualities that matter most, we assist our readers discover the very best merchandise for each want and price range.
We’ve combed the market to seek out the very best cat flea and tick prevention merchandise at the moment accessible. To be taught extra about the most suitable choice on your feline good friend, seek advice from our detailed information beneath. In a rush? Skip straight to our prime 5 picks featured above for a fast choice.
Kinds of cat flea and tick prevention
Relating to conserving fleas and ticks off your kitty, there isn’t any scarcity of remedies from which to decide on. Choosing the one which most accurately fits your and your cat is vital to conserving your furball and your loved ones wholesome and blissful. Let’s check out a few of the most typical types of cat flea and tick prevention.
These topical remedies are a preferred choice because of their easy-to-use comfort and long-lasting motion. However you should ensure that spot-on remedies dry correctly and are utterly absorbed earlier than dealing with your cat or permitting youngsters to pet him.
- These merchandise are straightforward to make use of, usually utilized straight onto the pores and skin on the base of the cat’s neck and between the shoulder blades to reduce the opportunity of unintended elimination or ingestion via grooming.
- The therapy begins working inside hours. The energetic chemical substances progressively disperse over the pores and skin and stay within the sweat glands.
- The chemical substances eradicate fleas and ticks for as much as a month.
- As soon as dry, the efficacy is undiminished by washing, grooming, or rain.
- Cats should be refrained from youngsters and different animals till the therapy is dry.
- Kitties with delicate pores and skin could expertise irritation, itching, or swelling.
Worth: Spot-on remedies usually vary from $30 to $55 for a six-month provide, however smaller portions can be found, too.
Oral flea and tick medicines
Oral tick and flea preventatives are an excellent different for cat homeowners who’re involved about youngsters or members of the family coming into contact with topical remedies.
- Most medicines act inside minutes.
- Many provide the identical advantages as spot-on remedies.
- Vet-prescribed choices present long-lasting flea and tick safety.
- There is no such thing as a threat of the chemical substances rubbing off on youngsters or different pets.
- Might be troublesome to manage – convincing a finicky feline to take oral remedy could be tough.
- Not all provide the identical stage of pest management as spot-on remedies.
- Delicate cats could vomit up capsules, and sneaky kitties could spit them out with out homeowners being conscious.
- Oral medicines may cause abdomen upset and discomfort in some cats.
- Many OTC varieties solely present pest safety for a day or so.
Worth: Oral preventatives, which can be found with out prescription, can value wherever from $10 to $25 for six tablets.
Flea and tick collars
By way of hassle-free comfort, flea and tick collars are exhausting to beat. These include concentrated chemical substances which can be slowly and steadily launched into the cat’s pores and skin. In case your kitty is already a number to unwelcome friends, remember to select a collar that is able to killing present parasites in addition to conserving new ticks and fleas from taking on residence.
- These are simpler to make use of than another tick and flea prevention technique.
- Collars provide long-lasting safety (many work for as much as eight months).
- Most collars are moderately priced.
- Cats who’re unaccustomed to sporting collars could not settle for this technique.
- The collar could trigger pores and skin irritation in some cats.
- Some collars solely repel ticks and fleas; they don’t kill any parasites already on the cat.
- Collars usually aren’t appropriate for kittens underneath ten weeks outdated.
Worth: Collars value from $20 to $60, relying on the dimensions, substances, security options, and the period of parasite safety provided.
Product in depth
Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Cats, eight Month Safety
Fuss-free comfort, long-lasting safety
Should you’re searching for a protected, easy-to-use, and long-lasting tick and flea therapy, the Bayer Seresto collar is your greatest wager. Really useful by veterinarians, this state-of-the-art collar retains cats freed from fleas and ticks for as much as eight months. It additionally boasts security options like a quick-release clasp to forestall choking and a reflective strip to make sure your cat is seen at night time.
Flea and tick sprays
Relating to eliminating fleas and ticks, sprays could be simply as efficient as different strategies. Sadly, most cats will instinctively attempt to bolt the second you set off the very first squirt, and if she’s a fighter, conserving her eyes and nostril protected could be extraordinarily troublesome. We do not suggest utilizing a spray-on tick and flea preventative in the event you already use a sprig bottle crammed with water to discourage undesirable habits like scratching furnishings or leaping on counters as a result of your cat will probably view this as punishment.
- Sprays cowl massive areas shortly.
- Most sprays work to kill ticks and fleas shortly.
- Some sprays provide the identical advantages as spot-on preventatives.
- Cats are unlikely to take pleasure in being sprayed.
- Spray remedies could require extra frequent reapplication than another strategies.
- Sprays could be messy.
- It’s troublesome to keep away from contact with the cat’s nostril and eyes when utilizing a sprig.
- Spray merchandise are likelier to be ingested via grooming and trigger abdomen upset.
Worth: Sprays used purely for prevention are typically priced round $10, whereas those who present extra complete safety can value as a lot as $40.
Flea and tick powders
Flea and tick powders could appear comparatively simple, however getting full, even protection is crucial, and the chemical substances are probably dangerous if ingested. Fortuitously, an increasing number of herbal-based flea and tick powders are getting into the market. However whereas these could also be a safer choice, natural powders should trigger gastrointestinal discomfort if swallowed. Seek the advice of a vet on the first signal of any opposed reactions, reminiscent of drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Powders are cheap and available from most shops.
- These merchandise can also be used on bedding or carpeted areas.
- Powders are straightforward to make use of.
- Powder must be reapplied weekly.
- Powders pose a excessive threat of eye irritation.
- You could ensure that your kitty would not inhale or ingest the powder throughout utility.
- Powder could be troublesome to use correctly. You should work it into nooks and crannies, reminiscent of underneath the legs and neck, as a result of fleas and ticks usually search refuge in these hidden areas.
- The possibilities of your kitty ingesting probably dangerous chemical substances are excessive, and powders may cause abdomen upset on account of grooming.
- Many powders aren’t really helpful for kittens underneath 12 weeks outdated.
Worth: Powders are usually cheap and rarely value greater than $10.
Flea and tick shampoos
Should you‘ve lately adopted a cat from a shelter or rescued a neighborhood stray, flea and tick shampoos are an incredible start line. Not solely will a pest-busting soak immediately do away with ticks and fleas, however an excellent freshening up may even can help you cuddle your new greatest good friend with confidence. Remember that though shampoo works as an instantaneous resolution, you may have to observe it up with a extra complete preventative, reminiscent of a collar or spot-on therapy.
- Shampoo remedies are comparatively cheap.
- These remedies work shortly.
- Shampoo kills the ticks and fleas whereas freshening up your kitty on the identical time.
- Most cats do not take pleasure in being bathed and will wrestle or scratch.
- The vast majority of shampoos do not work as an holistic pest prevention resolution, leaving cats susceptible to reinfestation.
- Shampoos are greatest used along with different flea and tick prevention strategies.
Worth: Shampoos are often priced from about $10 to $15.
Cat flea and tick prevention elements to think about
There are a large number of elements that may have an effect on how nicely any given product works on your cat, so hold the next concerns in thoughts as you store and you’ll enhance your possibilities of discovering an acceptable choice.
- Age: Should you‘re seeking pest prevention for a kitten, deciding on an age-appropriate therapy is significant to his well being. Flea and tick preventives for grownup cats usually include greater concentrations of chemical substances that could be dangerous and even deadly to kittens. At all times test the packaging for age and weight tips.
- Fur size: Should you‘re contemplating utilizing topical preventatives, reminiscent of spot-on remedies, sprays, or powders, take into account the size of your cat’s fur. Whereas reaching the pores and skin of short-haired cats is comparatively straightforward, this may occasionally show tougher with long-haired kitties. For extra-fluffy furballs with thick coats, oral medicines or collars could also be a greater choice.
- Period of efficacy: To maintain fleas and ticks at bay, it is important that you simply observe up with further remedies as specified by the producer. When utilizing shampoos, powders, or sprays, remember to word how steadily the product ought to be used and stick to those tips as intently as attainable.
- Life-style: Your cat’s life-style is a vital consideration when deciding on a tick and flea prevention product. Indoor cats could do nicely with less complicated merchandise like shampoos or powders. Nevertheless, for lion-hearted felines who merely will not be restricted to indoor residing, you may want a extra heavy-duty choice. Spot-on remedies are a most well-liked selection for a lot of homeowners of free-roaming kitties. Twin motion collars may do an incredible job of conserving your cat pest-free.
- Worth: There are lots of formulations and types of tick and flea prevention merchandise, and particular person costs can vary from the eyebrow-raisingly costly to the suspiciously low cost. When unsure, it is best to stay with respected manufacturers – and asking your vet for recommendation by no means hurts!
Product in depth
PetArmor Plus Flea & Tick Prevention for Cats, 6 Month-to-month Therapies
Dependable, complete tick and flea management
This quick-acting spot-on therapy takes care of all of your flea and tick worries by wiping out all the flea life cycle, from egg to grownup, and killing each mites and ticks. So far as spot-on remedies go, PetArmor Plus is among the most moderately priced choices round, and in response to customers, its outcomes match these of costlier manufacturers.
- Should you’re not sure of the delivery date or weight of an adopted kitten, a fast journey to the vet can assist clear issues up and decide the easiest way to maintain your kitty freed from fleas and ticks.
- Lengthy-lasting remedies reminiscent of spot-on prevention or a collar can assist cut back the possibilities of lacking a dose and unintentionally leaving your cat susceptible to pests.
- Should you go for a flea and tick collar and your cat occurs to be a climber (as most are), select one with a quick-release clasp to forestall unintended snagging and attainable choking.
Q. Do indoor cats want a flea and tick prevention product?
A. The reply to this query is a convincing “sure”! Even when your kitty is a sheltered princess who by no means units a pampered paw exterior, she’ll nonetheless want safety from ticks and fleas. These pests can simply be carried indoors by different pets, family pests like rats and mice, and even people.
Q. Is it actually obligatory to make use of flea and tick prevention year-round?
A. Sadly, ticks and fleas are exceptionally hardy critters, and the eggs can lay dormant in nooks and crannies each inside and out of doors of the house, even in colder climates. To maintain your cat wholesome it’s greatest to make sure that he stays protected via all seasons.
Q. Can I take advantage of canine and cat flea and tick medicines interchangeably?
A. Except the packaging clearly specifies that your product is appropriate for each cats and canine, this isn’t really helpful. Dosages can range dramatically and in lots of circumstances, formulations supposed for dogs – even smaller breeds – could be deadly to cats.